Policy last updated: January 2014
Joules Limited ("We") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Joules Limited of 16 The Point, Rockingham Road, Market Harborough, Leicestershire LE16 7QU. Our company number is 02934327.
A. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
1. Non Personally Identifiable Information
When you enter Joules.com, we may collect certain non-personally identifiable information. This may include your browser information (including browser type, browser version, host operating system, and browser language) and your IP address. Joules.com uses this information to help diagnose problems with our server and for other administrative purposes including, but not limited to providing you with content and services in your country's local language and currency.
In addition, aggregate traffic information may also be collected at our site from this non-personally identifiable information. We may use this data for improving the services offered at Joules.com and developing marketing programs. Joules.com may also provide aggregate (but not personally identifiable) statistics about our traffic to advertisers and third-party vendors.
2. Personally Identifiable Information
Many of the services offered on Joules.com are only made available if we have certain information about you. To access these services, you will, from time to time, be asked to submit personal data about yourself. We may collect and process the following personal information related to our services:
• Registration information. In registering for our site, we require certain contact information (including your name, e-mail address, and phone number.) We use this to contact you regarding orders, offers, and other notices.
• Information to fulfill your order. When placing an order online at Joules.com or over the phone with our customer service team, we collect your name, phone number, address, and personal payment information. This information is used to process and fulfill any orders you may make. We may also ask you for this information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by us or when you report a problem with our site and/or your order.
• Support or customer services issues. If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence and record conversations for training and/or monitoring purposes.
• Surveys. We may from time to time ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes. You do not have to respond to these surveys and may opt out of future emails by clicking a link at the bottom of the email or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website Use. Details of your visits to our site and the calls that you make to us including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
When placing an order with us:
When placing an order with us, we will ask for your email address and/or mobile telephone number so that we can send you information confirming your order and so that we may send you additional marketing information by email. You can opt out of receiving such information when setting up your Joules.com account or by following the opt-out instructions set out in those emails.
If at any time you wish to unsubscribe to our mailing list please let us know by sending an email to: email@example.com
WE WILL ONLY ASK FOR YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS IF YOU ARE PLACING AN ORDER. WE WILL NEVER ASK YOU TO CONFIRM ANY ACCOUNT OR CREDIT CARD DETAILS VIA EMAIL OR TEXT MESSAGE. IF YOU RECEIVE SUCH AN EMAIL OR TEXT MESSAGE, PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND AND NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY AT: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files that websites place in your browser when you visit them. When you return to the site, the site can access its previously placed cookie to uniquely identify your browser. Cookies accomplish several different things. They recall your preferences at a website, help content render more efficiently, and improve the overall user experience on a website. The can also help advertisers see what interests you and what advertising may be relevant to you. For further information on cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
• Estimate our audience size and usage pattern;
• Store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
• Speed up your searches; and
• Recognise you when you return to our site.
How do I delete and manage cookies?
You can enable, disable or delete cookies within your browser. In order to do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “Help”, “Tools” or “Edit” menu). Disabling a cookie or category of cookie does not delete the cookie from your browser; you will need to do this yourself from within your browser by choosing the option to delete cookies. If you have disabled one or more cookies, we may still use information collected from cookies prior to your disabled preference being set, however, we will stop using the disabled cookie to collect any further information.
4. Cookies and Privacy Practices of Third Parties
We do not accept any responsibility or liability for third-party policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
5. Web Site Recording
Joules.com may also use the SessionCam web site recording device. SessionCam is a product that has been developed by ServiceTick Ltd. SessionCam may record mouse clicks, mouse movements, page scrolling and any text keyed into website forms. Data collected by SessionCam from the ServiceTick website is used to improve our website usability. The information collected does not include any personal data. It is used for aggregated and statistical reporting.
6. Privacy of Children and Sensitive Personal Data
Joules.com does not knowingly collect personal data from anyone under the age of 18.
Joules.com does not knowingly obtain or store any Sensitive Personal Data, such as information about health or medical conditions, race or religious beliefs.
B. WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. When you proceed to make your purchase and your browser connects to the secure section of our site your browser should show a padlock in the bottom right hand corner.
If you are using a computer in a public location we recommend that you always log out and close the website browser down when you complete an online session for your security.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access.
C. USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
At Joules we are committed to providing excellent customer service.
We use the information that we gather from you so that we can:
• Process your orders effectively
• Make your shopping experience with us as quick and as simple as possible.
• Inform you of Joules offers that may be of interest to you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
• Ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
• Carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
• Allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
• Notify you about changes to our service.
• Help to protect you from fraud (For instance we may carry out identity verification, credit or anti-fraud checks against your name using third party databases (which may involve disclosure to registered credit reference or fraud prevention agencies who may retain and use your personal information), carry out analysis and to help us manage our business, statutory returns and legal and regulatory compliance).
• Send you catalogues and details of our offers and promotions..
We may also use your data, or permit selected third parties to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you.
We will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail) or post with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you. Where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means or post only if you have expressly consented to this.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also opt-out when setting up your Joules account, or contact us at email@example.com.
D. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
• In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
•If Joules or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
•To registered credit reference or fraud prevention agencies for the reasons already set out in this policy.
•To our nominated third party carriers to enable them to deliver your order and to contact you if there is a problem with delivery (i.e. telephone, name and address only).
•To our nominated marketing agencies who provide marketing services on our behalf.
E. YOUR ACCESS RIGHT
If you have any questions about our processing of your personal data, you are welcome to contact us. You will find our contact details at the bottom of this page. If you notice any errors in your personal data, you have the right to have them corrected. The Data Protection Act also gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.